- This event has passed.
Visit to RAF Ingham Heritage Centre
August 18 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Ingham, or Cammeringham, airfield was opened in May 1942. It was closed around 1945.
Ingham aerodrome was an all grass airfield and was ready for use in March 1940. In April 1942 a concrete perimeter track was built. 300 (Polish) Squadron operated from Ingham until January 1943. On 24 November 1944 the station was renamed RAF Cammeringham to avoid confusion with another station in Suffolk also called Ingham. The Night Bomber Training School occupied the station from March 1944 until the end of the year. The base was used by various non-operational units until December 1946 when the station closed.
Today much of the 650 acres (265ha) has been returned to agricultural use but a group of dedicated volunteers have created a heritage centre and memorial dedicated to the men who served there. On the day there will be volunteers around to answer any questions.